In 1956 the first mounted Boy Scout troop was established on Ocracoke Island. In order to join, a Scout had to either catch and break his own pony or raise the money to buy one. Some residents still remember catching a pony, leading it out into the shallow water of the sound, and floating a saddle onto its back. The troop existed for several years. In the early ‘60s the Cape Hatteras National Seashore was formed. Then the Park Service rounded up the ponies to keep them off the road which was constructed down the middle of the island.